If you don’t have a Ohio Transient Vendor’s License, it’s easy to apply for it online. It’s the same price as filing through the mail but you get your license number right away via email.
To pay online and get your license right away (also to enable online payment of your taxes online) you can create an account on the Ohio Business Gateway: http://business.ohio.gov/
To set up an Ohio Business Gateway account
- Go to: https://ohiobusinessgateway.ohio.gov/OBG/Membership/Registration.mvc/Acknowledgement#MainContainer
- Click “Create an OBG Username”
- Agree to terms
- IMPORTANT. If you are an individual and do not have a registered business then choose: “I am creating an account to use OBG as an individual, or as a sole proprietor for one or more businesses using a SSN. ” then fill in your SSN
- Fill out the Setup Process form
Getting Your License:
- When you’ve got an account and you’re logged in, go to “Home” at the top of the page.
- Go to Select Service
- Choose: Ohio Taxation – New Account Registration and Fuel Permit
- From the list, select “Transient Vendor’s License”
- Fill in information.
Note: Unless you own a legal business, you will be selecting “individual”. Ignore fields that involve business license info. There are little question mark icons you can click on if you are uncertain on which parts you need to fill out.
Filing Via Mail
We don’t recommend this option. If you can’t apply online, you can still file for a license by mail.
- Go to http://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use/license.aspx
- Download form ST1-T (Application for Transient Vendor’s License)
- Fill out the form.
- Fill out a check for $25 payable to Ohio Treasurer of State.
- Mail the form and the check to the address on the top of the form.